How do I change my name on my CCEI account?

To change your name in our system you must provide CCEI with a copy of legal documentation showing the name changed. Acceptable forms of legal documentation include copy of marriage license (if recently married) or page from divorce decree showing you reclaimed your maiden name (if recently divorced). If you have legally changed your name through the court system, a copy of the documentation from the court showing your current and former name is required. You may fax the documentation to our Compliance department at 1.866.878.3608 or mail a copy to CCEI Compliance at 3059 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Duluth, GA 30097. Please allow up to five (5) business days for your change to be made in our system. If you have any additional questions please contact CCEI Compliance at 1.800.499.9907, ext. 528.