The hiring process is lengthy and expensive. It takes time and money to interview, hire, and train new staff members to an adequate level of proficiency. When employers stop short of providing new employees with the tools they need to be successful, those employees may experience frustration and failure. A Digitate survey from 2018 found that new employees who experienced a negative onboarding experience were twice as likely to look for a new job opportunity soon after being hired.
If you don’t believe that effective onboarding makes a difference in staff retention and job satisfaction, take a look at the results of additional research done by the experts:
According to the Brandon Hall Group –
- Organizations with a strong onboarding process improve new hire retention by 82% and productivity by over 70%. Companies with weak onboarding programs lose the confidence of their candidates and are more likely to lose these individuals in the first year.
The Human Capital Institute found:
- Only 40% of organizations say onboarding is effective at retaining new hires, which is most likely because it has been focused on paperwork and processes rather than people and performance.
- In most organizations, onboarding activities stop after the first week in the new role; this is not nearly enough time to orient, prepare, and develop a new hire to be successful in their new position.
The Wynhurst Group discovered:
- 22 % of staff turnover occurs in the first 45 days of employment.
- New employees who went through a structured onboarding program were 58% more likely to be with the organization after three years.
And finally, a survey by O.C. Tanner found:
- 69% of employees are more likely to stay with a company for three years if they experienced great onboarding
After looking at the statistics, it becomes clear that effective onboarding strategies have a significant impact on staff retention, job performance, and job satisfaction.
You can explore more facts about onboarding here.
For the main article Investing in New Employees: Effective Onboarding Experiences, CLICK HERE
For the article Elements of Onboarding, CLICK HERE
For the article Creating an Effective Onboarding Schedule, CLICK HERE
For the article Strategies for Effective Onboarding, CLICK HERE