In addition to creating an onboarding schedule that spreads tasks out over the employees first few months of employment, you can also incorporate some of the following ideas into your onboarding practices:
- Assess current knowledge and values: The interview process is a great time to learn about a candidate’s knowledge and values related to ECE. Use this information to tailor the orientation schedule to meet the needs of the new employee.
- Incorporate technology – Utilize online training, such as CCEI, to provide basic orientation information to new employees. This will save you time and allow the employee to gather new information during nap time or in the evenings.
- Make it fun – include a variety of games to make learning fun and engaging. Scavenger hunts, trivia games, and activities where students have to identify something missing from a picture can be fun and meaningful.
- Boost engagement – Create ways that new employees can get to know their coworkers on a more personal level. Plan activities that encourage staff to cooperate and collaborate throughout the onboarding process.
- Plan Check-ins – Even after an employee seems to be settled in, be sure to check in on a regular basis to ask about successes and challenges. Ask specific questions and consider using texts or emails in addition to face to face conversations. Sometimes indirect contact will elicit different feedback.
- Gather feedback – Use surveys or other tools to learn about new employees’ experiences during the onboarding process. Ask about changes or enhancements that would have made a difference for new employees. Reflect on how these suggestions could be incorporated into future onboarding sessions.
- Goal-setting – It is important to set goals throughout the onboarding process. Don’t forget to set goals at the end of onboarding. Have a conversation with the new employee to determine what is next for them in their development as an early childhood educator. Help them identify the resources they will need to reach their goals.
What are some of your favorite onboarding activities or practices? Share with us on our Facebook page here.
For the main article Investing in New Employees: Effective Onboarding Experiences, CLICK HERE
For the article Statistics about Onboarding, CLICK HERE
For the article Elements of Onboarding, CLICK HERE
For the article Creating an Effective Onboarding Schedule, CLICK HERE